UMaine Center on Aging RSVP
Counties served: Penobscot, Piscataquis, Hancock, Washington
Primary Contact: Paula Burnett
UMaine Center on Aging RSVP,
Camden Hall, 25 Texas Avenue, Bangor, ME 04401
phone: (207) 262-7926
fax: (207) 262-7921
web site: https://mainecenteronaging.umaine.edu/service/umaine-center-aging-rsvp/
UMaine Center on Aging RSVP members are active, vibrant adults aged 55 to 100+ who invest thier skills and life experiences to make a difference for generations in Eastern Maine through volunteer service. Our membership consists of Senior Volunteers Responding to Community Needs in the following focus areas:
- Home-delivered meals for the elderly by volunteers and volunteer support for supplemental food programs to address food insecurity among seniors.
- Bone Builders excersize program for older adults led by volunteers to combat osteoporosis by building bone density and education around fall prevention.
- Tai Chi for Arthritis classes led by volunteer instructors for older adults with arthritis, joint, and other muscle-skeletal issues.
- School readiness/early childhood literacy - seniors serving as volunteer readers in child care centers.
- Volunteer support for respite and independent living for seniors.
- Miscellaneous volunteer opportunities that support other community priorities including services to veterans and capacity building for agencies.
RSVP members can "shop" for volunteer opportunities that best match their interests and skills with assistance from the RSVP staff. Training for volunteer positions are provided, along with supplemental accident/liability insurance, recognition, and on-going volunteer support.