2008 Volunteering In America
July 28th, 2008
Each year, the Corporation for National and Community Service releases a comprehensive report on the state of volunteering in America. This year’s Volunteering In America report is the most comprehensive set of data ever assembled – offering detailed information on volunteering trends and demographics from all 50 states including Maine over a three-year period from 2005-2007.
Maine and the Nation:
• Maine as a whole ranked second in volunteerism in New England.
• Maine ranks well above the 2007 national average, in the percentage of citizens volunteering, of 26.2 percent.
• Maine residents averaged annually more than 44 million hours of service between 2005 and 2007 totaling over $868 million of service in 2007.
• Portland had the best showing in Maine and ranked in the nation’s top twenty for mid-sized cities. 36 percent of the city’s residents volunteer contributing more than 12 million hours on average between 2005 and 2007, accounting for service valued at more than $242 million for 2007.
• Bangor contributed more than 2 Million hours on average between 2005 and 2007, accounting for service valued at nearly $53 million for 2007.
As the U.S. faces an economic downturn communities and individuals will need the support of the services volunteers provide now more than ever. Citizens can make a real difference in the community, especially during this critical time, by turning off the TV and swapping just 2 hours of TV time and volunteering instead.
The Maine Commission for Community Service, created to foster volunteerism and community service to meet human and environmental needs in the state, has been the funder for AmeriCorps programs for 15 years and targets more than 1 million dollars annually to meet the states most critical needs. The Commission also provides training and technical assistance to state national service programs including AmeriCorps programs. The Commissions role is vital to the success of Maine’s AmeriCorps programs. To read the full report on Volunteering in America please visit www.VolunteeringinAmerica.gov . To get involved locally search for volunteer opportunities at www.volunteermaine.org.