The mission of Volunteer Maine, the state service commission, is to foster and inspire community service and volunteerism to address critical needs in the State of Maine.
NOTICE: Regular Business Meeting
Friday, April 24, 2020
As authorized under Sec. G-1. 1 MRSA §403-A, the Commission will convene using technology. Commission meetings are open to the public. Members of the public can access the meeting use this phone number and code: (207) 209-4724, code: 880003317#. A request to make a public comments may be submitted by email to Service.Commission [at] maine.gov any time before 8:30 am on April 24.
|10:00||Public Comment Period||Branham|
|10:10||Call to Order||Branham|
|10:12||Welcome, Announcements, Agenda Adjustments
2. Quiz Answer
3. Announcements and Appreciations
a. Commission volunteers, others
4. Additions, Deletions, Changes to Agenda
5. Motion to approve the agenda
|Consent Agenda (reports/minutes listed here can be found on the "Reports & Drafts" tab above.|
Moved that the minutes of the Commission meeting on December 20, 2019 be approved.
B. Executive Committee
Moved that the report of the Executive Committee meetings for February 4, March 3, and April 7 be accepted.
C. Research and Evaluation Task Force
Moved the report of the Research and Evaluation Task Force meetings on January 30, February 21, and March 27 be accepted.
D. Financial Oversight Task Force
Moved the report of the April 9 meeting of the task force be accepted.
E. Grant Selection and Performance Task Force
Moved the report of the March 6 task force meeting be accepted.
F. Maine Service Fellows
Moved the report of the February 26 task force meeting be accepted.
(Reports submitted are posted.)
|10:30||A. Communications Task Force
1. Presentation and discussion of legislative proposals
2. Marketing and Communications plan
|10:45||B. Grant Selection and Performance
1. Policy update and changes for Commission action
|11:00||D. Financial Oversight Task Force
1. Review of financial reports
|11:20||E. Research and Evaluation Task Force
1. Action on proposed task force mission
|11:30||E. National Public Policy issues
1. Report from ASC committee
2. Public Comments (ASC and Commission) submitted regarding proposed rule changes for conducting criminal history background checks. Comments are under "Background Materials" on Reports tab.
3. Emerging legislation related to Commissions
|11:45||F. Volunteer Maine Staff
1. Impact of COVID19 on AmeriCorps members and programs: questions for Jamie based on her staff report
2. Update on Commission role in emergency response
3. Changes to events: Service Fellow Think Tank and Public Forum
4. Report from February Convening of all commissions by ASC
|12:00||G. CNCS Update
1. New staff assignments for Maine programs (Commission and others)
2. CNCS rebranding/branding project -- status update
|Garvey for Ostberg|
|Focus on Mission Responsibilities|
|12:15||A. Discussion of planning grant parameters proposed by staff
B. Impact of COVID 19 on April 15 AmeriCorps competition and options/solutions
|Planning and Future Initiatives|
|12:30||A. Discussion of Commission budget authority status
Consideration of whether to pursue budget authority and become fully responsible for operations rather than working through a fiscal agent (Dept of Education).
|Business Wrap Up|
|1:00 pm||A. Reminder: Complete meeting evaluation forms (link is in email sent after meeting)
B. Next meeting (May 15, 2020 -- Rm 110, MCCS Offices)