366 Community Volunteers and AmeriCorps Members Volunteered 1,750 Hours During Week Long Celebration
Published June 9, 2011
|Volunteer is moulaged for Mass Rescue Exercise|
- Community Resource Corps AmeriCorps Members raised over $6,000 for the Millinocket Musical Boosters Club and prepared 89 meals for homebound seniors in the St. John Valley.
- Island Fellow AmeriCorps Members mapped an entire cemetery on Islesboro using GPS units and removed more than 5 truckloads of debris from Chebeague, Great Cranberry and Swan's Islands'.
- Maine Conservation Corps AmeriCorps Members planted over 3,000 native shrubs to create habitat for the endangered New England Cottontail and cleared a stream for alewife passage.
- VolunteerMaine AmeriCorps VISTA Members deployed a Volunteer Reception Center as part of a Mass Rescue Exercise which allowed emergency responders to train and evaluate their procedures for management of a mass rescue incident.
- AmeriCorps Teen Leadership Career Corps held workshops and a resource fair where 270 students were introduced to education and career options.