Administrative Staff Reports
November 9, 2012
October 2012 Administrative Staff Report
submitted by Meredith Eaton, Training and VISTA Coordinator
- Facilitated monthly AmeriCorps Training and Technical Assistance meeting.
- Management of From the Field blog. Five blogs posted during October, including two guest posts by Blaine House Conference presenters.
- A key focus this month was the final preparation and implementation for Wendy Spencer's visit and the Blaine House Conference on Service and Volunteerism. Preliminary report on the Blaine House Conference was presented at the October 2012 Commission meeting; the final report is posted in HQ Happenings for November 2012.
- Participated in Wendy Spencer's site visit with Maine Senior Corps programs in my role as the Senior Corps liaison from MCCS.
Maine VISTA Project
- Wendy Spencer, CEO of CNCS, and Sandy Scott, CNCS Senior Communications Advisor, visited Maine VISTA Project Host Site Pine Tree Legal Assistance in Bangor on October 9th. She took a virtual tour of the website www.statesidelegal.org led by VISTA member Peter MacArthur and heard from Executive Director Nan Heald about the expanded capacity of PTLA to serve veterans and their families due to VISTA members Robert Liscord and Peter. She then spoke with six other Maine VISTA Project members and Barbara Smith, a VISTA supervisor from the UMaine Veterans Education Transition Services program, as well as representatives from the Maine Campus Compact VISTA Program. Commission Chair Andrew Matlins attended the meeting.
- Conducted 18 interviews for VISTA positions to start in November. Selected and enrolled 7 VISTA members and one VISTA Leader who will start in mid- and late-November.
- Provided technical assistance to host sites and supervisors. Conducted Site Supervisor Orientation for two sites. VISTA Leaders provided orientation and support to VISTA members.
- Participation in initial Steering Committee meeting for the Military Child Education Coalition's public engagement event to be held in early April; this event is chaired by Maine's 1st Lady Ann LePage.
- Supervision of VISTA Leaders Eileen Buzzello and Erin Dunne.
- Attendance at bi-weekly staff meetings and monthly Commission meeting.
- Representing state commission on national OnCorps (reporting software) User's Group.
- Management of social media accounts for MCCS.