Administrative Staff Reports
April 10, 2012
Meredith Eaton March 2012 Administrative Staff Report- Training and VISTA Coordinator
- Maine AmeriCorps Member Conference was held March 27 at Thomas College in Waterville. Attended by 125 AmeriCorps members from 14 programs with separate training for AmeriCorps Program Staff conducted by Grants Program Officer. Highlights were keynote Meredith Jones, President and CEO of Maine Community Foundation, and 15 workshop choices all presented by current members or recent alums. Maine VISTA Project Leaders Erin Dunne and Eileen Buzzello led the all-member planning committee.
- Conducted training webinar for AmeriCorps Member Conference presenters. Seven attendees were trained in workshop planning and design, universal design, and principles of inclusion and 21 accessed the Tips for Trainers toolkit.
- Planning for 2012 VolunteerMaine Webinar Series. Scheduled April and May webinars and conducted outreach to June- October potential presenters.
- Contributed training updates and opportunities to the twice-monthly CNCS grantee newsletter.
- Management of From the Field blog. Published ten blog posts in March, including six guest posts from AmeriCorps members during AmeriCorps Week.
- Met twice with Excellence and Expertise Task Force. See meeting notes for details.
Blaine House Conference on Service and Volunteerism
- Recruited Blaine House Conference Chair, Barb Wentworth of United Way of York County.
- Sent email blast to last year's BHC attendees inviting them to participate in the planning committee. Conducted orientation webinar for planning committee members.
- Researched alternate facilities to UMaine Orono to present to committee members who asked about possibility of moving the conference closer to mid-Maine. Contacted armories, Augusta Civic Center, Thomas College, and UMA and obtained quotes where applicable. All spaces either could not accommodate 300+ participants or estimated prices were significantly higher than UMaine rate.
Maine VISTA Project
- Revised outreach materials for VISTA site development to update education- and veterans- focus area materials and include new healthy futures information.
- Recruited, interviewed, and selected two new VISTA members to serve starting in April at Bread of Life Ministries in Augusta and Sweetser in Saco. Both are veterans-focused positions. One new VISTA enrollee is a US Army veteran and the other is currently active in the Maine Air National Guard.
- Participation in USDA Summer Food Service Program for VISTA Project sponsors re. opportunities for SFSP/VISTA collaboration.
- Supervision of VISTA Leaders Eileen Buzzello and Erin Dunne.
- Met with representative from Maine Senior Corps Council to plan for upcoming Senior Corps Week (May 7-11). Planned activities are participant profiles from each as media releases, guest bloggers on the topic of Senior Corps, social media postings, and a special banner on VolunteerMaine.org.
- Attendance at bi-weekly staff meetings and monthly Commission meeting.
- Representing state commission on national OnCorps (reporting software) User's Group.