Administrative Staff Reports
June 7, 2012
Meredith Eaton April- May 2012 Administrative Staff Report- Training and VISTA Coordinator
- Staff liaison to Maine Senior Corps programs. Senior Corps Week (May 7-11) resulted in two guest blogs, three press releases, daily social media postings, and website banner/landing page for Senior Corps. Focus on outreach and raising awareness of the impact of SC programs in Maine and nationally.
- Planned and moderated two monthly webinars for the VolunteerMaine Webinar Series. April's topic was Volunteer Recognition presented by Anne Schink and was attended by 14. May's topic was Service-learning presented by Laura Rog and was attended by 8. Evaluations showed positive feedback for both offerings on a number of criteria.
- Contributed training updates and opportunities to the twice-monthly CNCS grantee newsletter.
- Management of From the Field blog. Published ten blog posts in April and May, including guest posts from Senior Corps Week and topics on risk management, Global Youth Service Day, volunteer motivation, and more.
- Facilitated quarterly meeting of National Service and Volunteerism Council. Fifteen participants and three staff heard about the UMaine Cooperative Extension Senior Companion Program, a report-out on CNCS' Financial and Grants Management conference, and a presentation on MCCS' role in emergency management.
- Participation in monthly CNCS Training Officer Community of Practice call.
- Met with Michael Lahti from Muskie School and Pam Zeutenhorst regarding training needs assessment and evaluation of Volunteer Generation Fund. Related to work in Excellence and Expertise Task Force. Participated in Commission work session in May.
Blaine House Conference on Service and Volunteerism
- Held orientation for volunteer planning committee members. Identified sub-committee members and leads. Convened Steering Committee.
- Finalized date and location as Tuesday, October 9 at University of Maine, Orono. Confirmed facility.
- Working with Steering Committee on budget, sponsorships, keynote, and theme. Working with Conference Content Committee on workshop topics and presenters.
Maine VISTA Project
- Oversaw VISTA project host site Year 2 continuation application process. Out of 18 Year 1 host sites, 11 applications were either approved or approved with conditions, three elected not to re-apply, and four more will come due later in the year.
- Conducted site development to grow the VISTA project size from 26 to 34 members and include additional sites for Service-Learning/Extended Learning Opportunities, Veterans & Military Families, and Healthy Futures (anti-obesity). Adapted or developed new outreach materials, met with potential new host sites, and developed new VISTA host site application. This activity is currently in progress and should result in 10-15 new host sites with 1-2 members each by late June.
- Conducted 8 interviews for VISTA positions to start in July and August.
- Held two trainings for current Maine VISTA Project Members: 'Life After VISTA,' Parts I and II. Part I was an all-day training delivered in conjunction with Goodwill NNE's AmeriCorps programs and consisted of training in interviewing skills, resume writing, job searching, professional networking, and more. Part II was a one-hour webinar and included information on ending a VISTA term of service, relocation requirements, and cover letters.
- Welcomed two VISTA members serving in the Veterans & Military Families focus area to Sweetser, Inc. and Bread of Life Ministries. Provided orientation, training, and technical assistance to host sites and supervisors. VISTA Leaders provided orientation and support to new VISTA members.
- Provided assistance and staff support with Governor's Awards for Service and Volunteerism.
- Proctored CVA exam for two MCCS team members.
- Supervision of VISTA Leaders Eileen Buzzello and Erin Dunne.
- Attendance at bi-weekly staff meetings and monthly Commission meeting.
- Representing state commission on national OnCorps (reporting software) User's Group.
- Extensive sorting/organizing/packing as part of MCCS move from 19 Union St. to Cross Office Building. Learning new processes and procedures related to move from SPO to DOE.