Administrative Staff Reports
January 1, 2019
Program Development & Training Officer
Major projects completed; Dec 2018 –
- Presented on the functionality of the Disaster Response module of VolunteerMaine.org to County EMA’s and have at least two counties that will pilot use of the system.
- AmeriCorps: Complete fiscal review of Rural Formula applicants for the Grants Task Force. Most are small organizations with limited fiscal capabilities. Ongoing monitoring and training will be of great importance for any applicants selected
- Presented at the Educate Maine Conference on how National Service programs attract talent to the state, sharing the data from the past 6 years of AmeriCorps programs funded by the Commission. The information was well received and has led to conversations with the University System, Live & Work in Maine and with the MELMAC foundation.
- Clarification of the Brunswick Restorative Justice project status given the nomination of the program director to Commissioner of Education
- Provided as needed assistance to Interim Grants Officer.
Issues to be aware of –
- March 6th is the National Service Day at the Capitol (Hall of Flags). Commissioners are encouraged to participate.
- CNCS has instituted a new background check procedure and is requiring us by Senior Corps and national direct AmeriCorps programs. Commissions have some latitude but forgo some advantages by not participating. The proposed system for fingerprint collection presents significant challenges for Maine programs. The other parts of the system offer some advantages. The Commission is developing a plan to utilize the advantageous components and to keep the functional fingerprint system currently in use.
Major focus of effort in the new month –
- Midyear training for VGF grantees and support them in quarterly reporting.
- Support for grantees taking advantage of Background Check grace period. Begin to develop and present new procedures for all grantees for coming year.
- Host introductory Service Enterprise meeting in Rockland for interested agencies in the midcoast
- Support selected AmeriCorps applicants in meeting funding conditions and with needed corrections ahead of federal submission deadlines.
- Regional Conference and AmeriCorps Member Conference planning
Other activity –
- Ongoing AmeriCorps & VGF Technical Assistance to existing grantees via email, teleconference & face to face.
- Procurement system management and initial entry of financial documents in state purchasing system, including purchase orders, bids, and contracts.