Communications Task Force
January 8, 2020
PRESENT: Chair Jennifer Tilton Flood, Jessica Nixon, Bryan Roche, Maria Staples
The Communications Task Force met electronically for its monthly meeting on Wednesday, January 8, 2020. The Task Force discussed during their regularly scheduled meeting the following:
1. Legislative proposals (cont'd): The Task Force continued discussions on conceptual pieces of legislation on in-state tuition flexibility for AmeriCorps program members and making the Segal Education Award state-tax-exempt. After having the chance to review materials on the proposed efforts, it was agreed that the next step should be to draft a formal recommendation to be presented at the next full Commission meeting on February 21, 2020.
2. New website project (cont'd): Tilton Flood invited Roche to share new details related to the website merger project. Roche informed the group that he and Commission staff will be meeting with InforMe on Monday, January 13, 2020. Tilton Flood then asked the Task Force if they have any additional suggestions to improve the website. With no new suggestions, Tilton Flood invited Task Force members to share any final suggestions with Roche via email before the meeting on the 13th. Roche mentioned that he will share suggestions from the December meeting with InforMe, and any additional suggestions that come in before the meeting.
3. Annual communications plans (cont'd): Prior to the meeting, Task Force members had the opportunity review a draft communications plan for 2020. Tilton Flood opened discussion on the plan to the group. The group agreed that the plan was strong enough to move forward. Roche added that he will be adding a section outreach visits to career fairs and networking events. Tilton Flood then asked Roche how the Task Force can help ensure the plan is executed. Roche mentioned several suggestions in the areas of content curation, social media takeovers, assistance in meeting with editorial staffs and newsrooms across the state, and producing op-ed pieces and letters to the editors for Maine publications. Tilton Flood tasked the group with brainstorming additional ways each can help execute the plan prior to the February Task Force meeting.
4. Additional items:
- Tilton Flood recognized Task Force member Julia Fiori, who was published in Maine Women's Magazine after writing a piece on her relationship with her aunt, Governor Janet Mills.
- Tilton Flood asked the group to share the name of any individual(s) who may be a good fit to fill one of the current vacancies on the full Commission.
- Tilton Flood asked the group to provide feedback on the new structure of Task Force meetings. Jessica Nixon asked that documents are shared a few more days in advance of the meeting. Tilton Flood stated that can and will be done going forward.
The next Task Force meeting will be held on Wednesday, February 12, 2020.
Please click the link for a report on communication initiatives during the month of December.