retired-Excellence and Expertise Task Force
November 9, 2012
submitted by Meredith Eaton, Training and VISTA Coordinator
November 9, 2012 ~ 1 PM (via teleconference)
Present: Bonnie Bagley, Janice Daku, Meredith Eaton, Dwane Hubert, Pam Zeutenhorst
Absent: Mark Hews, Eileen Smart
Online Certificate Courses for Managers of Volunteers- fee structure
As context: when the Volunteer Generation Fund grant was written in 2012, the intent was that E&E would serve as advisory body to VGF grantees and on a statewide level. In the past 3 years the task force has had only limited capacity, but we would like to expand given our new membership.
MCCS is working to bringing back online courses in Spring 2013 that had been offered through a community college in Maine and that were destroyed in the online format when that organization updated their software (the content is preserved on the MCCS server. These are certificate courses based on the Core Competencies for Managers of Volunteers; novice and advanced levels will be offered. Although the courses are online, MCCS hopes to coordinate facilitators/coaches for each cohort registered for the courses.
Task Force advice is needed to develop a fee structure and decide how to best balance the market value of a certificate-level course with the inclusion of as large an audience as possible given the economic realities for professional development funding within agencies. After brainstorming the group came up with some questions for making a determination:
- What would fees be used for?
- Who is target audience and how does that influence how we create a fee structure?
- What is the potential for scholarship support through Professional Development Fund.
- What makes the certification of value and how do we expect it will be recognized as having that value in the sector?
- How can we encourage awareness of competencies to MCCS grantees and ensure programs are staffed by those who have an appropriate level of competency in managing volunteers?
We will continue to discuss over the next several months.
Nuts and Bolts
- Meredith and Pam both provide staff support to the Task Force, but Meredith will be the primary staff member scheduling meetings, posting notes, etc.
- We have our own project on the Group Hub where we'll post agendas, reminders, notes, etc. Members can also use this space to post a comment or idea between meetings or to ask a question.
- A Writeboard has been created with some important resources for members to review. The URL is https://maineservicecommission.basecamphq.com/W5095253 and included are the task force charge and information about E & E's assignments as part of the strategic plan. Link to the MCCS Strategic Plan in its entirety: http://www.maineservicecommission.gov/shared_media/publications/old/2010-Final-Maine-Strategic-Plan-adopted-17June.pdf.
- We need a Task Force Chair. Meredith will check in with Drew to see if he has approached any members regarding taking on this role.
- We also need to set a regular meeting time. One option is to meet in person before or after the Commission meetings on the 3rd Friday of the month. The other option is to meet on a different day by teleconference. Meredith will check in with the task force members not present regarding their availability.