retired-Excellence and Expertise Task Force
November 14, 2014
Monthly Work Session Notes
Oct 2, 2014 via webinar 3:30-4:45 p.m.
Participating in the meeting: Mark Hews (Chair), Bonnie Bagley, Gordon Lui, and Pam Zeutenhorst (Staff).
Guests: None present.
Task Force members not participating: Richard Higgins, Janice Daku, Andrew Matlins, and Eileen Smart.
Reimagine Service Update
- Public Sector work - Revision the deck,
- Realization - incorporate feedback - focus on service delivery in public sector, how are volunteers engaged in the public sector to achieve mission
- Decision making & involving the planning, civic engagement - not necessarily in "ReImagining Service wheelhouse" Will be acknowledged, but not addressed. Due to feedback from Maine.
- Reimagining Service - Formal announcement next week. Sunset operations at end of the calendar year. Reimaging Service developed as a campaign, not an on-going effort or organization - looking for the signs that its work has traction. I.e. Civic 50, Service Enterprise, and strategic engagement part of the volunteer sector dialogue. Embargoed information until public announcement the week of Oct 7th.
By the end of this year, Reimaging Service will:
o Publish Public Sector model of Service Enterprise
o Releasing research and identify things to be done. Such as gaining traction for Service Enterprise in the funding community.
o Website available for 2 years
Question to Kaira: Will Points of Light to continue the work of Public Sector model of Service Enterprise?
o Don't have the expertise of working in the public sector
o Do realize it has impact with nonprofits
o Would like to be at the table, but not in the lead role
- No new information on pilot project in Maine.
- Service Enterprise Municipal
- Lerner application in final stage & to be submitted Oct 3. United Way of Tri-Valley Area is partnering with the Commission on this effort.
- Service Enterprise for Nonprofits
- United Way of York County & United Way of Eastern Maine are currently recruiting organizations for the next round of Service Enterprise trainings.
- Part 2 of Service Enterprise Train -the-Trainer takes place Oct 15. Potentially, six more people will be certified by Points of Light to conduct Service Enterprise trainings for nonprofits.
- Points of Light has launched a Service Enterprise Initiative map. Check it out here: http://www.pointsoflight.org/service-enterprises New marketing video coming soon to YouTube: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cz2t00wb897rfu4/Service%20Enterprise%20Initiative%20Testimonials%202014.wmv?dl=0
Volunteer Generation Fund
- 2014-2017 proposal not funded by Corporation for National & Community Service.
- Discussion of staff position (Program Officer, Volunteer Sector Initiatives) funded by Volunteer Generation Fund. Position is funded at full-time thru end of grant period, December 31, 2014. A 90 day no cost extension has been applied for and is pending CNCS review. Anticipate review to be completed early November.
If no cost extension is granted, there is funding available to extend the staff position. Staff is waiting for Fiscal to update reports to determine staffing level if extension is received.
Strategic Plan Assignments
¨ Discussion regarding strategy to move forward with reduced staff level.
¨ Service Enterprise for Nonprofits - Create action plan for Service Enterprise for Nonprofits with timeline & post to Group Hub. Include requirements for Service Enterprise Hub & Regional Hubs. Identify requirements, should do, and consider to do. Work to start after Oct 20. - Pam
¨ Service Enterprise for Municipalities - Defer until decision on proposal received from Lerner. Anticipated response in December.
¨ Franklin Project - On hold for now.
¨ Strategic Plan - Color code tasks assigned to E&E and post to Group Hub. Deferred until after Oct Commission meeting - Pam
¨ Strategic Plan - Review tasks assigned to E&E prior to next E&E Task Force meeting Nov 6. - All
- What we need to do & timeline
- Who can we partner with to accomplish the work - new & established partnerships