The mission of Volunteer Maine, the state service commission, is to foster and inspire community service and volunteerism to address critical needs in the State of Maine.
Notice of Regular Business Meeting
Friday, March 20, 2020 Meeting cancelled per public gatherings restriction for COVID19.
Maine Govt East Campus, 19 Elkins Lane Rm 110, Augusta, ME 04333
All business meetings are open to the public. The parking lot faces the Eastside Wellness Center and Harlow Building. Use Arsenal Street to enter the campus.
This link shows the location of the building on the campus.
Map for Driving Directions
|10:00||Public Comment Period||Branham|
|10:10||Call to Order||Branham|
|10:12||Welcome, Announcements, Agenda Adjustments
2. Quiz Answer
3. Announcements and Appreciations
-- Strategic Plan Tracking
4. Additions, Deletions, Changes to Agenda
5. Motion to approve the agenda
Moved that the minutes of the Commission meeting on December 20, 2019 be approved.
B. Executive Committee
Moved that the report of the Executive Committee meetings for February 4 and March 3 be accepted.
C. Research and Evaluation Task Force
Moved the report of the Research and Evaluation Task Force meetings on January 30 and February 21 be accepted.
(Reports submitted are posted.)
|10:33||A. Communications Task Force
1. Presentation and discussion of legislative proposals
2. Marketing and Communications plan
|10:45||B. Grant Selection and Performance
1. Policy update and changes for Commission action
2. Request for assistance recruiting new peer reviewers
|10:50||C. Maine Service Fellows Task Force
1. Outcome of March 13 design think tank
|11:00||D. Financial Oversight Task Force||Burns|
|11:10||E. National Public Policy issues
1. Report from ASC committee
2. Sign-on letter for Congress
3. Public Comments (ASC and Commission) submitted regarding proposed rule changes for conducting criminal history background checks. Comments are under "Background Materials" on Reports tab.
|11:25||F. MCCS Staff
1. Impact of COVID19 on AmeriCorps members and programs plus office continuous operation plan
2. June 6 Maine public forum on recommendations of the National Commission on Military, Public, and National Service
3. Potential NGA summer meeting service project
4. Volunteer Maine Annual report and rebrand progress
5. Report from February Convening of all commissions by ASC
|12:00||G. CNCS Update
1. New staff assignments for Maine programs (Commission and others)
|Garvey for Ostberg|
|Planning and Future Initiatives|
|12:15||A. Discussion of Commission budget authority status
Consideration of whether to pursue budget authority and become fully responsible for operations rather than working through a fiscal agent (Dept of Education).
|Focus on Mission Responsibilities|
|12:45||A. Commissioner roles in key events
1. National Service Day at the Capitol, March 26
2. AmeriCorps Member Conference, April 1
3. Commission Recognition Luncheon for National Service Program Staff, April 17
|Business Wrap Up|
|1:00 pm||A. Reminder: Complete meeting evaluation forms
B. Next meeting (April 17, 2020 -- Rm 110, MCCS Offices)