Administrative Staff Reports
January 3, 2012
- Attended the Symposium on Service and Inclusion in Washington, DC, a conference related to inclusion of people with disabilities in National Service opportunities. Workshops attended, and the conference overall, proved useful for new ideas, contacts, and strategies, both in my role as a training officer and as director of a VISTA project.
- Wrote Program Development and Training (PDAT) progress report for 2011 and grant continuation application for 2012 and submitted to CNCS. Grant continuation funding was initially awarded, but then rescinded due to CNCS funding cuts in the Omnibus Bill Package. Loss of staff position due to PDAT cuts will result in additional responsibilities; at this time, Training and VISTA Coordinator will manage VolunteerMaine blog and potentially other projects previously assigned to the Planning and Research Associate.
- Through writing both 2011 progress report and 2012 application for PDAT, began to develop plan for developing training objectives quantified by outputs and outcomes as well as methods for assessing training needs and evaluating training activities. Worked with MCCS staff and CNCS State Program Officer to develop objectives for 2012-2013.
- Transition to supporting National Service and Volunteerism Council, including facilitating quarterly meetings.
Maine VISTA Project
- Two new Maine VISTA Project members started service in November, at Pine Tree Legal Assistance in Bangor and Bryant Pond Learning Center. They are working on expanding legal resources for veterans and military families and to implement service-learning programming through Operation Military Kids, respectively. Project orientation for members and reporting training and TA for members and sites.
- Four VISTAs completed their service in November. Fortunately, two, Erin Dunne and Eileen Buzzello, are returning as VISTA Leaders with the Maine VISTA Project. Completed VISTA Leader orientation for Erin Dunne.
- Conducted daylong training for VISTA Project members on November 9th. VISTA Eileen Buzzello delivered Volunteer Reception Center training to 17 VISTA members.
- Site development efforts resulted in new VISTA placements for February. Enrolled members at three out of five approved sites: Pine Tree Legal Assistance (Portland) and Bread of Life Ministries (Augusta), both veterans-focused sites, and Maine Commission for Community Service, a service-learning placement. Remaining two sites, both veterans, will attempt to recruit again for the next PSO offered by CNCS.
- VISTA site visits to Skowhegan School District, Community Financial Literacy, and York County Service-learning Collaborative. Pam Zeutenhorst also conducted a VISTA site visit with Searsport District Schools.
Blaine House Conference
· Wrapped up Blaine House Conference for 2011, including accounts payable, outstanding registration fees, thank-you notes, etc. Solicited feedback from conference committee and MCCS staff for suggestions to be implemented in 2012. Developed survey for presenters to evaluate conference experience. Shared session and conference evaluations with presenters.
· Participation in monthly Maine AmeriCorps Training and Technical Assistance meeting and quarterly National Service and Volunteerism Council meeting.
· Supervision of VISTA Leaders Katie Klein and Erin Dunne.
· Attendance at bi-weekly staff meetings and monthly Commission meeting.
· Representing state commission on national OnCorps (reporting software) User’s Group.