December 4, 2017
The meeting convened by teleconference at 3 pm.
PRESENT: David Wihry, John Portela, Celeste Branham, Maryalice Crofton, Carol Rancourt
- Planning for June leadership changes.
- Initial discussion was about succession and the vacancy anticipated in the Vice-chair. Candidates need to be identified by May.
- Celeste updated the group on her availability. She expects to be out on extended medical leave again in May and would like to postpone moving into the chair position until September. She asked John if he’d stay on through the summer. After discussion, Rancourt moved to recommend to the Commission that the Chair extend his term by two months to accommodate the Chair-elect’s needs. Second by Wihry. On voice vote, the motion was supported by all Commissioners present.
- There was an update on status of candidates for appointment who were submitted for consideration. There is a new deputy director of the boards and commissions office. She’s been in touch with Maryalice.
- The next item concerned planning for January through June Commission work that is “over and above” task force and routine business. February will be the Strategic Plan Team’s “vision conference” with commissioners, public members, and key people. It was noted that the October networking for Commission members did not happen so John wants to schedule the April luncheon again. The office update should be sent about every two weeks.
- “The Funders Guide to Investing in Volunteer Engagement” had been shared but members asked for more time to review. It is likely to be helpful to MCCS in articulating what we do and why.
- Melik Khoury has a standing campus administrators’ meeting on Monday at 3pm so the Executive committee meetings are in conflict. The group agreed to move meetings to the FIRST TUESDAY of each month at 3pm. This will also resolve conflicts with Monday holidays.
There being no other business, the meeting ended at 4:03 pm.